Many composers write songs to honor people who touched their lives in one way or another, as this is the best way that they know how to pay homage to their friends and mentors. When a music artist has an untimely passing, this results in an outpouring of grief and a heart wrenching tribute song can follow, being the perfect way to celebrate their life and remember them. Music is used as a vehicle for people to deal with their emotions and the lyrics are a way of grieving that become a permeant record ensuring that this person will be remembered. Tribute songs are usually written in memoriam to show admiration, but they can be written in jest.
Last week we had You Can’t Say Bomb on A Plane where the theme was songs that feature lyrics of lyrics of Bomb, Gun, Knife, Weapon. This week the theme is Tribute songs that were written in memory of someone. Take some time to read the posts of other bloggers who respond to this music challenge, and even better, read as many of them as you are able to as you will probably find many enjoyable songs and it is quite possibly that you will learn a thing or two. Share your music with others and post a video, try do some research and let everyone know something about the song that you post. Tell everyone why you like the song, whether it was a hit, or what you think the song is about. Show the lyrics, let’s all listen to our favorite songs and explore some new music. Try to find a song that fits the theme, then write your post and create a pingback, or you can just place your link in the comments section.
Think of these as being suggestions instead of being rules:
• Try to use the prompt words or at least conform to a general theme, as you see it. If the song you select does not meet the criteria, then please explain why you chose this song.
• It would be good if you could post the lyrics to the song of your choice, as this is helpful for the people that want to follow along with the music.
• Please try to include the songwriter(s) – it’s a good idea to give credit where credit is due. It would also be a good idea to give credit to the singer and the band associated with your song.
• Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be, but please try not to include too many videos as that just makes it take longer to look at all of the other posts.
• Link to the YouTube video, or you can pull it into your post, so others can listen to the song.
• Ping back to this post or place your link in the comments section below.
• Read at least one other person’s blog, so we can all share new and fantastic music and create amazing new blogging friends in the process.
• Feel free to suggest future prompts.
• Have fun and enjoy the music.
This week I will be writing about the song ‘Angel of Harlem’ by U2, and next week, I will be writing about a song that was sung by Cher ‘The Shoop Shoop Song (It’s In His Kiss)’. The upcoming prompts will be:
January 30, 2022 – Songs featured in films that made the charts (please make sure you reference the movie)
February 6, 2022 – Space, Planets, Aliens suggested by Di of pensitivity101
February 13, 2022 – Can’t, Don’t, Shouldn’t, Won’t
February 20, 2022 – Automated, Mechanical, Modern, Robotic suggested by Melanie B Cee of Sparks From A Combustible Mind