It is astonishing that some artists who were very popular worldwide were never able to record a #1 song. Some of these artists had #1 songs in other countries and wrote songs that went to #1 for other artists, but they did not make it with their own recordings in their home country. The Billboard Hot 100 has measured the 100 top pop songs in America based on sales, and radio play since 1958, and now they include online streaming and the UK Singles Chart has been around since 1952. While some musical artists rack up #1 hits like it’s nothing, other prolific artists have never topped the charts. Some of my very favorite musicians have gone their whole career without landing the top spot on the charts and these artists or groups have Grammy Awards, but they just can’t reach the top of the charts. Ironically the Barry Manilow song ‘Looks Like We Made It’ did reach #1.
Last week we had Selling More Music where the theme was songs that songs that hit the top of the charts. This week the theme is to feature a song by a group or an artist that surprisingly never reached #1 on the charts and this idea taken from UK #1s blog, The UK Number Ones Blog. The song doesn’t have to be one that stalled out at #2. The idea is to find an artist or a group that should have gone to #1 with one of their songs, but this never happened for them. Take some time to read the posts of other bloggers who respond to this music challenge, and even better, read as many of them as you are able to as you will probably find many enjoyable songs and it is quite possibly that you will learn a thing or two. Share your music with others and post a video, try do some research and let everyone know something about the song that you post. Tell everyone why you like the song, whether it was a hit, or what you think the song is about. Show the lyrics, let’s all listen to our favorite songs and explore some new music. Try to find a song that fits the theme, then write your post and create a pingback, or you can just place your link in the comments section.
• Try to use the prompt words or at least conform to a general theme, as you see it. If the song you select does not meet the criteria, then please explain why you chose this song.
• It would be good if you could post the lyrics to the song of your choice, as this is helpful for the people that want to follow along with the music.
• Please try to include the songwriter(s) – it’s a good idea to give credit where credit is due. It would also be a good idea to give credit to the singer and the band associated with your song.
• Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be, but please try not to include too many videos as that just makes it take longer to look at all of the other posts.
• Link to the YouTube video, or you can pull it into your post, so others can listen to the song.
• Ping back to this post or place your link in the comments section below.
• Read at least one other person’s blog, so we can all share new and fantastic music and create amazing new blogging friends in the process.
• Feel free to suggest future prompts.
• Have fun and enjoy the music.
This week I will be writing about the Bruce Springsteen song ‘Badlands’, and next week, I will be writing about the song ‘Hotel Illness’ by Black Crowes. The upcoming prompts will be:
July 31, 2022 – Illness, Injury, Scars suggested by Angie of King Ben’s Grandma
August 7, 2022 – Pets, Names, Memories suggested by Di of pensitivity101
August 14, 2022 – Educate, Learn, School, Teach
August 21, 2022 – Underrated Deep Album Cuts suggested by Greg’s Blog