In Through the Looking Glass a nonsense poem by Lewis Carroll, he wrote about a fantastic monster called a jabberwock. The meaningless nonsense character jabberwocky is now an accepted word, and it is used to illustrate the triumph of good over evil, as the Jabberwocky is depicted as a threat and danger to the father and his son. Once the Jabberwocky is killed, things return to normal. Dr. Seuss was very big on using nonsense words and these words tend to make us all laugh. James Joyce introduced the nonsense word Quark in his novel Finnegan’s Wake where he wrote “Three quarks for Muster Mark” as part of a scurrilous 13-line poem directed against King Mark, the cuckolded husband in the Tristan legend. The name quark was first used around 1963 by Murray Gell-Mann, who was one of the two physicists who posited the quark model which came to denote an elementary particle, a fundamental component of matter. In the quark theory of matter, the proton is made up of three quarks, which fits in with what James Joyce wrote. It is up to the listener to decide what nonsense lyrics actually mean.
Last week we had HGTV where the theme was songs that feature House, Room, Kitchen, Shower, Attic suggested by Paula of Light Motifs II. This week the theme is songs that include nonsense lyrics suggested by Amy Braun, ai love music aisasami. Take some time to read the posts of other bloggers who respond to this music challenge, and even better, read as many of them as you are able to as you will probably find many enjoyable songs and it is quite possibly that you will learn a thing or two. Share your music with others and post a video, try do some research and let everyone know something about the song that you post. Tell everyone why you like the song, whether it was a hit, or what you think the song is about. Show the lyrics, let’s all listen to our favorite songs and explore some new music. Try to find a song that fits the theme, then write your post and create a pingback, or you can just place your link in the comments section.
Here are the “rules”:
• Try to use the prompt words or at least conform to a general theme, as you see it. If the song you select does not meet the criteria, then please explain why you chose this song.
• It would be good if you could post the lyrics to the song of your choice, as this is helpful for the people that want to follow along with the music.
• Please try to include the songwriter(s) – it’s a good idea to give credit where credit is due. It would also be a good idea to give credit to the singer and the band associated with your song.
• Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be, but please try not to include too many videos as that just makes it take longer to look at all of the other posts.
• Link to the YouTube video, or pull it into your post so others can listen to the song.
• Ping back to this post or place your link in the comments section below.
• Read at least one other person’s blog, so we can all share new and fantastic music and create amazing new blogging friends in the process.
• Feel free to suggest future prompts.
• Have fun and enjoy the music.
I am writing about the song ‘Do Wah Diddy Diddy’ by Manfred Mann today. Next week, I will be writing about the Prince song ‘Computer Blue’. The upcoming prompts will be:
December 19, 2021 – lyrics associated with electronic communication devices (pagers, iPhone, Android, fax machine, computer, TV) suggested by Amy Braun, ai love music aisasami
December 26, 2021 – Anger, Frustration, Furious, Irritated, Mad, Provoked, Revenge suggested by Amy Braun, ☆ai love music☆ aisasami
January 2, 2022 – Entertainment, Circus, Show suggested by Melanie B Cee of Sparks From A Combustible Mind
January 9, 2022 – Concern, Fear, Fret, Worry suggested by Fandango of This, That and the Other