Taste and smell are separate senses with their own receptor organs, yet they are intimately entwined, as these distinctly different messages which are sent to our brain will converge, allowing us to detect the flavors of food. Aroma describes how something smells, and when talking about food this is probably a better word to use than “odor”, although they mean the same thing. The most important component of flavor is generally considered to be smell, because it makes up ninety percent of what we perceived to be flavor. Most people will say that something tastes “good” or “delicious”, but to be more specific they should say that it tastes sweet, salty, sour, bitter or umami, which relates to our five specific taste receptors but some things may taste gross and also be repugnant. In Scent of a Woman Frank confidently asks a gorgeous young stranger, played by a 19-year-old Gabrielle Anwar, to tango in the middle of a restaurant.
Last week we had The Shape I’m In with Circle/Polygon/Square/Triangle shape prompts. This week we have Odor/Scent/Smell/Taste prompts that could be used to describe food. Take some time to read the posts of other bloggers who respond to this music challenge, and even better, read as many of them as you are able to as you will probably find many enjoyable songs and it is quite possibly that you will learn a thing or two. Share your music with others and post a video, try do some research and let everyone know something about the song that you post. Tell everyone why you like the song, whether it was a hit, or what you think the song is about. Show the lyrics, let’s all listen to our favorite songs and explore some new music. Try to find a song that fits the prompt, then write your post and create a pingback, or you can just place your link in the comments section.
Here are the “rules”:
• Post the lyrics to the song of your choice, whether it contains the prompt words or not. If it does not meet the criteria, then please explain why you chose this song.
• Please try to include the songwriter(s) – it’s a good idea to give credit where credit is due. Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be.
• Make sure you also credit the singer/band and if you desire you can provide a link to where you found the lyrics.
• Link to the YouTube video, or pull it into your post so others can listen to the song.
• Ping back to this post or place your link in the comments section below.
• Read at least one other person’s blog, so we can all share new and fantastic music and create amazing new blogging friends in the process.
• Feel free to suggest future prompts.
• Have fun and enjoy the music.
I am writing about the Bob Dylan song ‘Queen Jane Approximately’ today. Next week, I will be writing about the traditional song ‘Peggy-O’ by many. The upcoming prompts will be:
January 3, 2021 – PG (title of song must start with the letter P or G)
January 10, 2021 – MA (title of song must start with the letter M or A)
January 17, 2021 – DJ (title of song must start with the letter D or J)
January 24, 2021 – Chat/Laugh/Rant/Scream/Talk