A vow is merely a personal promise, whereas an oath is a promise made before some institutional authority. Wimpey loves eating hamburgers, but he is too cheap to pay for them, so he is always making the promise, “I’ll will gladly pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today”, but the thing is that Wimpey never comes around on Tuesday. An oath is a promise that you make where you affirm that you will do something and this would normally invoke God, like saying that as God is your witness, or may God strike you down, so help you God, even if you are not a religious person. A vow can be seen as a solemn promise, a pledge, an obligation, or a personal commitment that you will achieve a goal, or be faithful to your spouse and this should only be made while you are sober. God said to Abraham, “As for you, you must keep my covenant, you and your descendants in every generation.” The Mayflower Compact was a set of rules for self-governance established by the English settlers who traveled to the New World on the Mayflower.
Last week we had Cash and Flowers using Give/Get/Take/Receive/Send, and that prompt worked out well. This week we have Promise/Vow/Oath and I think that everyone should be able to find a song that uses one of these prompt words. Make sure that you have fun while you are doing this. Take some time to read the posts of other bloggers who respond to this music challenge, as you will probably find many enjoyable songs. Share your music with others and post a video, try do some research and let everyone know something about the song that you post. Show the lyrics, let’s all listen to our favorite songs and explore some new music. Try to find a song that fits the prompt, then write your post and create a pingback, or you can just place your link in the comments section.
Here are the “rules”:
• Post the lyrics to the song of your choice, whether it fits the theme or not. If it does not fit, then please explain why you chose this song.
• Please try to include the songwriter(s) – it’s a good idea to give credit where credit is due.
• Make sure you also credit the singer/band and if you desire you can provide a link to where you found the lyrics.
• Link to the YouTube video, or pull it into your post so others can listen to the song.
• Ping back to this post or place your link in the comments section below.
• Read at least one other person’s blog, so we can all share new and fantastic music and create amazing new blogging friends in the process.
• Feel free to suggest future prompts.
• Have fun and enjoy the music.
I am writing about the Grateful Dead song ‘Days Between’ this week. Next week I will be writing about the song ‘Comes A Time’ also by the Grateful Dead. The upcoming prompts will be:
March 29, 2020 – Touch/Feel
April 5, 2020 – Birthday/Cake/Gift/Party/Surprise
April 12, 2020 – Diamond/Emerald/Jade/Pearl/Ruby/Sapphire
April 19, 2020 – Home Town or City where you were born or once lived in