No one knows for certain how or when the first musical instrument was invented, and it was probably something like a flute that was made from animal bones, but drums also date back to prehistoric times. The oldest known song was written 4,000 years ago in ancient cuneiform. Two of my least favorite instruments are the accordion and bagpipes, as they make sounds that get on my nerves. The great majority of musical instruments belong to the following categories, being either bowed strings, woodwind, brass, percussion, keyboard, or in the guitar family. Instruments can also be defined by their sound as being woodwind, brass, stringed, or percussion. When instruments are defined by the manner in which they create the sound, they are Idiophones (vibrating to produce a sound when struck, shaken, or scraped), Membranophones (vibrating stretched membrane), Chordophones (stringed instrument), Aerophones (wind instrument), & Electrophones (sound is produced by electronic means or is electronically amplified).
Last week we had Taste the Fruit where the theme was to find songs that mention a fruit. This week the theme is songs that mention a musical instrument. Take some time to read the posts of other bloggers who respond to this music challenge, and even better, read as many of them as you are able to as you will probably find many enjoyable songs and it is quite possibly that you will learn a thing or two. Share your music with others and post a video, try do some research and let everyone know something about the song that you post. Tell everyone why you like the song, whether it was a hit, or what you think the song is about. Show the lyrics, let’s all listen to our favorite songs and explore some new music. Try to find a song that fits the theme, then write your post and create a pingback, or you can just place your link in the comments section.
Think of these as being suggestions instead of being rules:
• Try to use the prompt words or at least conform to a general theme, as you see it. If the song you select does not meet the criteria, then please explain why you chose this song.
• It would be good if you could post the lyrics to the song of your choice, as this is helpful for the people that want to follow along with the music.
• Please try to include the songwriter(s) – it’s a good idea to give credit where credit is due. It would also be a good idea to give credit to the singer and the band associated with your song.
• Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be, but please try not to include too many videos as that just makes it take longer to look at all of the other posts.
• Link to the YouTube video, or you can pull it into your post, so others can listen to the song.
• Ping back to this post or place your link in the comments section below.
• Read at least one other person’s blog, so we can all share new and fantastic music and create amazing new blogging friends in the process.
• Feel free to suggest future prompts.
• Have fun and enjoy the music.
This week I will be writing about the song ‘Bang The Drum All Day’ by Todd Rundgren, and next week, I will be writing the Supertramp song ‘It’s Raining Again’. The upcoming prompts will be:
March 20, 2022 – Songs that mention rain
March 27, 2022 – Mind, Think, Brain suggested by Paula of Light Motifs II
April 3, 2022 – Clive Davis day, write about any song that he signed to his label, or that he produced
April 10, 2022 – Army, Soldier, War suggested by Di of pensitivity101