The Moon Doesn’t Have a Dark Side

Every part of the Moon gets an equal amount of light from the Sun.  The phenomenon known as tidal locking which provides the same rotational period as its orbital period around a partner is what gives the moon its dark side.  Since our Moon is tidally locked with the Earth, it rotates in exactly the same time as it takes to orbit the Earth, thus it will always show the same face to the Earth.  This synchronous rotation where the moon spins around its own axis once for each time it orbits around us on Earth prevents us from seeing what we call the back of the moon.  We can only see 59% of the Moon over the course of an orbit and the other 41% is referred to as the dark side of the Moon.

In order to fully appreciate the last song on the Pink Floyd album Dark Side Of The Moon, which is called ‘Eclipse’ you should listen to all the songs that come before this on the album, because this is a concept album, where each side of the album is a continuous piece of music.  ‘Eclipse’ seamlessly follows ‘Brain Damage’, so these two songs are often paired together and they were played that way on the radio.  I am not going to get into the meanings of all these songs, because that post could go on forever, but I will touch on what I think ‘Eclipse’ is about.  The lyrics are very simple but the meaning behind them seems kind of deep to me.  I tend to think that “all” basically has the same meaning as “everything” and there are only two lines in this song that don’t include at least one of these words and this is why I am going deep.  Get ready to stand on your tippy toes, because I am ready to start shoveling it and soon you will be up to your ears, or your eyeballs trying to survive the whole enchilada.  Better yet, make sure that you are wearing your waders, but I will leave what you wear under your waders up to you.

People make patterns out of things and we organize things into groups.  This song deals with senses (touch, sight and taste) and emotions (love, hate and distrust) and then it moves on to common traits that are shared by humanity.  All and everything bot represent wholeness, which could be unity or something that is unbroken, or not damaged.  Having this wholeness allows us to transcend any limitations in life that may be holding us back.  Actions that you take in life can easily become contradictions, and people will “beg, borrow or steal”, or do whatever they think is necessary to get something that they want or feel they need to be complete.  Life seems to be a vicious circle where things are created and then destroyed finally meeting their end, so when the sun is eclipsed by the moon, the light disappears and “all that is now, all that is gone, all that’s to come” will melt together and whether your thoughts are on This, That or The Other, “everything under the sun is in tune” and you will finally have this unity in your brain, but now I am in so deep, I don’t see any way of getting out of this song.

All that you touch
And all that you see
All that you taste
All you feel
And all that you love
And all that you hate
All you distrust
All you save
And all that you give
And all that you deal
And all that you buy
Beg, borrow or steal
And all you create
And all you destroy
And all that you do
And all that you say
And all that you eat
And everyone you meet (everyone you meet)
And all that you slight
And everyone you fight
And all that is now
And all that is gone
And all that’s to come
And everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

Written for Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie Standing on the Moon – Challenge #188.

12 thoughts on “The Moon Doesn’t Have a Dark Side

  1. It’s a great great album…but it must have been perfect timing. There are better albums out there…some even say The Wall… the run it made on the charts is amazing.

    Liked by 1 person

Comments are closed.