- Why is it traditional to eat turkey for Thanksgiving dinner? (In the US, at least.)
Eating cats didn’t go over so well.
- What is “Festivus”?
That is when the tree is lit up at Rockefeller Center.
- Why does Hanukka (or Chanuka, if you prefer) last for eight days?
That comes from a Beatles song.
- Why does Kwanzaa last seven days?
That was determined by Bob Dylan.
- According to the song, there are twelve days of Christmas, so why do most people only observe Christmas for one day?
The 12 days of Christmas was derived from the Babylonian number system which was made on a base of 60 and when man forgot how to read cuneiform t ablets, they shortened it to one day.
- Why does Canada have Thanksgiving in October?
It is too damn cold up in Canada after October.
- What is Childermas?
I could tell you, but then I would have to give you a spanking.
- In the US, why is the Friday after Thanksgiving known as “Black Friday”?
This came from the Rolling Stones.
- What is “Boxing Day”?
This comes from the iconic movie On the Waterfront.
- What is “Saturnalia”?
This is when all of the moons on Saturn are aligned.
Written for Frank’s Fibbing Friday.