Contrasts are notable differences when compared with something else. Can you write an essay that compares and contrasts apples and oranges? They have a similar shape and they are both fruit, but they prefer different climates and they have different colors. You could create a Venn diagram and exclude the overlapping area that would include them both making juice and being grown on trees to get a contrast between them. When contrasting things, you need to focus on what makes them different. If you look hard enough, you will probably find subtle differences between most objects and it is the differences that make people look more physically attractive. Contrast often means opposite, and since black is the opposite of white, they contrast each other.
Last week we had Entertainment with Culture and everyone was asked to come up with a song that was from a Musical or an Opera. This week we have another prompt that is very different, that being using a song that features a contrast in it. This prompt was suggested by Maggie From Cave Walls and she said that she will be showing up “with the proverbial bells on – in contrasting colors of course!” Everybody needs to look for a song that features lyrics that include stuff like females and males, loud vs. silent, wet vs. dry, or hot vs. cold, Coke vs. Pepsi, war and peace, love and hate, bad and good or the Moon and Sun. I think this will be fun for everyone. Take some time to read the posts of other bloggers who respond to this music challenge, as you will probably find many enjoyable songs and it is quite possibly that you will learn a thing or two. Share your music with others and post a video, try do some research and let everyone know something about the song that you post. Tell everyone why you like the song, whether or not it was a hit, or what you think the song is about. Show the lyrics, let’s all listen to our favorite songs and explore some new music. Try to find a song that fits the prompt, then write your post and create a pingback, or you can just place your link in the comments section.
Here are the “rules”:
• Post the lyrics to the song of your choice, whether it contains the prompt words or not. If it does not meet the criteria, then please explain why you chose this song.
• Please try to include the songwriter(s) – it’s a good idea to give credit where credit is due.
• Make sure you also credit the singer/band and if you desire you can provide a link to where you found the lyrics.
• Link to the YouTube video, or pull it into your post so others can listen to the song.
• Ping back to this post or place your link in the comments section below.
• Read at least one other person’s blog, so we can all share new and fantastic music and create amazing new blogging friends in the process.
• Feel free to suggest future prompts.
• Have fun and enjoy the music.
I am writing about the song ‘Silvio’ by Bob Dylan. Next week I will be writing about the k.d. Lang song ‘Constant Craving’. The upcoming prompts will be:
September 20, 2020 – Canadian music
September 27, 2020 – Brother/Sibling/Sister
October 4, 2020 – User Choice where you can go your own way, or do your own thing
October 11, 2020 – Hold/Pause/Stop/Wait