In the New Testament, the virgin Mary is the mother of Jesus. When I was working in Brazil, I went to see the movie There’s Something About Mary with Ben Stiller and Cameron Diaz which was in English with Portuguese subtitles. Mary is a variant of the Hebrew name Miriam, who was the sister of Moses. Marie is the French form of Mary, directly derived from Latin Maria. Julie Andrews plays the role of Maria in the Sound of Music. Let’s not forget Mary Queen of Scots, Mary Shelley and Mary Mallon who became known as Typhoid Mary. Lisa Marie married Elvis Presley and Maria Shriver was married to Arnold Schwarzenegger. When Columbus discovered the New World, his flagship was the Santa Maria.
Last week we had My Brother’s Name is Jack where everyone was asked to find a song using the prompt of either Jack/John. This week we have feminine name prompts of Maria/Marie/Mary and hopefully this will fit for everyone. Take some time to read the posts of other bloggers who respond to this music challenge, as you will probably find many enjoyable songs and it is quite possibly that you will learn a thing or two. Share your music with others and post a video, try do some research and let everyone know something about the song that you post. Show the lyrics, let’s all listen to our favorite songs and explore some new music. Try to find a song that fits the prompt, then write your post and create a pingback, or you can just place your link in the comments section.
Here are the “rules”:
• Post the lyrics to the song of your choice, whether it fits the theme or not. If it does not fit, then please explain why you chose this song.
• Please try to include the songwriter(s) – it’s a good idea to give credit where credit is due.
• Make sure you also credit the singer/band and if you desire you can provide a link to where you found the lyrics.
• Link to the YouTube video, or pull it into your post so others can listen to the song.
• Ping back to this post or place your link in the comments section below.
• Read at least one other person’s blog, so we can all share new and fantastic music and create amazing new blogging friends in the process.
• Feel free to suggest future prompts.
• Have fun and enjoy the music.
I am writing about the George M. Cohan song ‘Mary’s A Grand Old Name’ this week. Next week I will be writing about the song ‘He’s Gone’ by the Grateful Dead. The upcoming prompts will be:
June 28, 2020 – Cool/Freeze/Heat/Melt
July 5, 2020 – Best/Better/Good/Great
July 12, 2020 – Air/Earth/Fire/Water
July 19, 2020 – Baking/Bread/Cake/Pie/Picnic