My best guess is that Helen Vahdati started Song Lyric Sunday on Sunday, June 19, 2016, so this writing challenge has been going on for over three years now. I joined in this group with my first post on 8/27/17 and I have kept coming back every week since then. Most of the participants are regulars, although in the last several weeks, there have been many new people contributing music. Song Lyric Sunday means different things to different people, and to me I believe that every song has its own story to tell, that’s different from just about every other song, and all of these songs have their own life to live. There are no laws about how to approach Song Lyric Sunday, yes it does have some rules, but nobody really enforces these rules. To me SLS means telling the story surrounding the song, who wrote it, where the inspiration came from and how the song did on the charts. Robert Hunter a lyricist for the Grateful Dead said that the song ‘China Cat Sunflower’ came to him when he was visiting Mexico’s Lake Chapala and a cat decided that his belly looked like a comfortable place to take a nap. Whether or not you like the Grateful Dead, this is a cool story and it makes the song more fun to listen to, because you know something about it.
Song Lyric Sunday is mostly about having fun and sharing your music with others. Tell a story, post a video, show the lyrics, but most important, make sure that you have fun. I feel that everyone should be able to find a song that fits the prompt Cowboy/Gun/Hat/Horse/Western. Try to find a song that fits the prompt, then write your post and please be patient, and wait for me to approve your pingbacks, or you can just place your link in the comments section.
Here are the “rules”:
- Post the lyrics to the song of your choice, whether it fits the theme or not. If it does not fit, then please explain why you chose this song.
- Please try to include the songwriter(s) – it’s a good idea to give credit where credit is due.
- Make sure you also credit the singer/band and if you desire you can provide a link to where you found the lyrics.
- Link to the YouTube video, or pull it into your post so others can listen to the song.
- Ping back to this post will eventually work, as long as you are being patient, but you can also place your link in the comments if you don’t like to wait.
- Read at least one other person’s blog, so we can all share new and fantastic music and create amazing new blogging friends in the process.
- Feel free to suggest future prompts.
- Have fun and enjoy the music.
I am writing about the song ‘Me And My Uncle’ by John Phillips this week. Next week I will write about ‘Birdsong’ by the Grateful Dead. The upcoming prompts will be:
September 8, 2019 – Bird/Fly/Sky/Wing
September 15, 2019 – Floor/House/Roof/Walls
September 22, 2019 – Clothing/Hat/Pants/Scarf/Shirt/Shoes/Tie
September 29, 2019 – Train songs